Saturday, February 10, 2007

Welcome...

To The Celery of Humanity, my new blog that I hope will examine the lives of the superficial in a way that might help us understand their true value to the world.

What Does the Phrase Mean?

As most people who have dieted know, celery is a low-calorie food. It is also high in fiber. In fact, it is so low in calories, and so hard to digest, that it is possible that your body will burn more calories trying to digest it than it provides. The celery of humanity, then, are those people in society that seem to require a lot of attention, but return little back to us. We all know people like that, don't we? I'm sure all of us have our own personal celery-people around us. But I'm looking for those who fit this description on the national and international scale--folks whose fame far outstrips any possible reason for that celebrity.



Admit it--she was the first to pop into your head, right?

Well, the sad thing is, she's not the only one.

Who else? Who do you think is not worth the time, money, and energy spent on them by the main stream media?

Let me know who we should put on the list. I'm open to suggestions. If I get a good response, I'll start actually paying attention to the format, and start looking for little add-ons that I can drop onto the site--polls and the like. And if any of you want to co-blog with me on this project, drop me a line. The more the merrier, is how I see it.

By the way, I have no problem with you using the phrase 'celery of humanity' in their own writing and conversations, to describe anyone you feel fits the description. My only request is that if you do it online, link the phrase to this blog.

6 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

Holy smokes, Pirate, THIS IS FRIGGIN BRILLIANT.

I'll be back.

Colleen said...

let me dig deep into my vocab and shout "cool beans!"

so, anna nicole smith...she would count, right??

Zephyr said...

I love the phrase! Now I need to find ways to incorporate the term "celery of humanity" into daily conversation. Bet that'll get me some odd looks.

Oddly enough... I dislike celery intensely. And I dislike the celery of humanity as well: so much, that I tend to ignore them to the point that I honestly was trying to remember who it was in the photo.

So as to who goes on your list... it would have to be those people that I can't remember. Sorry... I can't give names because I forget who they are.

cadbury_vw said...

"remember, we'll always have Paris..."

Heidi the Hick said...

Hmm. I don't particularly like eating celery either.

And I'm quite ashamed of my fascination with oxygen stealing celebrities...until now...

Karl said...

Good afternoon Balloon Pirate,

A fine idea for a blog. There's so much subject matter out there work with.

I'll be interested to see how your crop of celery comes up.